What Are the Degrees of Murder in Florida?
At Rothman & Associates, P.A., our Miami homicide defense attorneys are dedicated to helping our clients’ defend their rights and freedom against serious criminal charges. We have more than four decades of experience helping individuals in Miami, Miami-Dade County, Florida, and beyond seek the favorable results they desire in homicide cases.
There are many types of homicide charges in Florida, and they vary depending on the circumstances involved:
- First-degree murder refers to homicide backed by the intent to kill. This is the most serious homicide charge in Florida, and it can be punished by life imprisonment or death.
- Second-degree murder can be considered homicide without premeditation. A conviction on this charge can result in decades of prison time.
- Third-degree murder is the unintentional killing of another person while committing another felony including the distribution of a controlled substance.
- Manslaughter is an accidental or unintentional killing. Issues of negligence and liability are very important in manslaughter cases; under certain circumstances, manslaughter charges can result in decades of prison time.
- Vehicular homicide refers to the reckless operation of a motor vehicle that results in death. Vehicular homicide charges are common in serious drunk driving accidents.
Contact Our Experienced Homicide Attorneys Today
If you are charged with or have been arrested on suspicion of homicide, you may seriously damage your case by speaking with law enforcement before consulting with a lawyer. Your statements can and will be used against you later in court. Be polite, but firm: You want to speak with an attorney before answering questions.
If you are found guilty of homicide in Florida, you face a long prison sentence or the death penalty. The Miami criminal defense lawyers at our South Florida law firm – led by Board Certified Criminal Trial Lawyer David Rothman – are prepared to provide powerful defense counsel for clients facing murder charges.
If you would like to speak with a Lawyer from Rothman & Associates, P.A., please contact our Miami Office to arrange for a consultation about your situation.